PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Blindfolded Chimp With a Pencil in His Teeth

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

You just put your lips together... and blow.

So what's so hard about posting everyday? You'd think that it would be something pretty easy to do. You just put your fingers down and type what comes to mind. That's what I'm doing now. The only problem with that is I end up with posts like this one. Banal. Uninteresting. When I first started this blog it was called "Randomly Pecking Like a Chimp in a Fez." That's because when I started I was planning on doing just that: Sitting down every day and pecking out a few random thoughts and seeing what would come. I got bored with that pretty quickly, and if you go back and read some of my very first few posts, you can see that it was pretty boring, sucky stuff.

I am not a perfectionist. I am not anal-retentive. I am not neat. I am, for the most part, hardly ever on time. But I will say I take pride in what I write. I write and re-write these posts, look them over and over, then post them, and then I usually find something else I want to change and I pull them down and post again. Sometimes I pull the whole thing down and just delete it all together. Sometimes that's why you don't hear from me for a while.

The point is, usually the posts you finally see are due to some considerable effort. You may not always be able to tell this. You may think that I suck as a writer in general, but I just want you to know where I am coming from and to explain what the eff takes me so long sometimes. All that plus I am pretty lazy sometimes.

Coming up with a topic worth the effort of writing is my biggest challenge. I realize that I can just sit down at my computer and spend 10 minutes and I'll have a post and not seem so negligent. But I'd rather have something that I think you guys will want to read. Maybe it provokes thought. Maybe it makes you laugh. Maybe it stirs up an old memory or feeling. But I really want it to do something. I want you to be glad you took the time to read here. I want it to be good.

I started this blog for me. It was designed as a place for me vent, to be opinionated, and to tell eveybody why I think I am right all the time. Granted,it is still that, but now it is more. If you are a regular reader (as regular as you can be with my irregular posts), you are my friend. Even if I've never met you. We know each other through this. I read about your life, and you read about mine. We form a loose community unaffected by social or geographical restrictions. We interact and share our selves with one another. That, to me, is incredibly cool.

Now as far as I am concerned, this blog is for us. For myself and for you, my friends. I hope that what I write gives you insight into who I am and what I care about. I hope that everything I put here helps you know me a little bit better.

Please have patience when I am slow, and take what I write as my little attempt at a gift to all of you...

Well, Laura is here now and she has asked me to tell everybody hi, and to sign of so I can give her some smooches. I am more than happy to oblige her, so let me say goodnight.

Much love.

4 Comments:

Blogger TheSloan said...

heh...you said smooches...thats pretty funny stuff. Trust me, you have an audience. I personally have your blog on my RSS feed list so whenever you update it an icon pops up on my toolbar to let me know. Keep writing and we'll keep reading.

Tue Nov 15, 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

I hear you COMPLETELY. I do the same thing with my posts.

Although, it's interesting, my favorite posts (of mine) are the ones I in which I don't labor over every single word...sometimes it IS more interesting when you just let the thoughts flow. Like a diary entry - and let's face it, we ALL want to read each other's diaries!!

Regardless of how often you post, I love reading you!

Wed Nov 16, 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Just want to echo the words above about loving your posts, no matter when they come. Thanks for sharing it all and doing this for us. I too will erase entire posts and perfect them. I get it. It's interesting how blogging makes friends...

Anyway enjoy your smooches...

Wed Nov 16, 05:50:00 PM  
Blogger LT said...

There was definite audible smacking. Most unseemly.

Wed Nov 16, 09:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poker Championship

I have registered to play in the
Online Poker Blogger Championship!

This event is powered by PokerStars.

Registration code: 9916275

Site Meter