PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Blindfolded Chimp With a Pencil in His Teeth

Monday, July 25, 2005

Guys like you and me gotta kick it here, old school.

You know how ambulances have the word "AMBULANCE" written really big across the front of their hoods? And have you noticed that it is written backwards so that if you were to see that word in a mirror, (presumeably in the rear view mirror of a vehicle as opposed to say a ladies compact whilst powdering your nose) you might readily identify it as an emergency vehicle and take appropriate action. (Incidentally, if you happen to read the word "AMBULANCE" through a ladies compact whilst powdering your nose, MOVE!! THERE"S AN AMBULANCE BEHIND YOU!!)

You might be asking yourself, under what circumstances will it be necessary for anyone driving a vehicle to need to read the word "AMBULANCE" clearly in their rear view mirror in order to know what to do? Ambulances are, after all, relatively easy for most fully-erect primates to identify. Are we to assume that certain drivers have emerged from a thirty year exile on the ocean floor and proceeded directly to the nearest motor vehicle and headed down the road? Why on Earth would they need to take the time to write the word "AMBULANCE" backwards on a vehicle that is essentially two seats, four wheels, lights and sirens?

Well, imagine if you will the following exchange between Mr. and Mrs. Completely Oblivious Moron, and you'll think twice before questioning that extra little step taken for the safety of none other than you and me.

Please enjoy.

[Husband and wife are enjoying a nice Sunday drive down an long, winding stretch of two-lane country road. While looking lovingly at his wife, Mr. Moron sees something out of the corner of his eye approaching from behind.]


"Gosh honey, what do you suppose that is approaching us from behind?"

[Craning her neck to look behind her]

"I don't know, but it's emitting some sort of strobing light."

"Yes, I see that. Hmm, it seems to be some sort of large, white vehicle."

"Indeed it does. My, it sure is coming up on us quickly!"

"True. Now I am beginning to hear a sort of high-pitched, wailing noise. Do you hear that?"

"Yes, yes I do. It's incredibly loud... and not un-siren-like."

"Well what should we do? It's right behind us now, and I don't think there's a passing zone for miles."

"What was that honey? I'm having a hard time concentrating on what you're saying because of the remarkably loud noise and the incredibly bright and multicolored strobing lights that are now filling our entire vehicle."

"Not to mention your rear-view mirrors,"

"Wait a minute... say that again."

"Say what again?"

"What you said just a moment ago... about some sort of mirrors."

"I said 'not to mention your rear-view mirrors.'"

"Brilliant! Honey, you're a genious!"

"Why? What did I say?"

"The part about the rear-view mirrors! I'll check the reflection of the vehicle behind us to search for any clues about what we might do!"

"Oh, brilliant darling!"

"Hmmm. Let me see. It's hard to make anything out, what with the strobing lights... Wait, there's a word there! 'AMBULANCE.' Oh my goodness it's an ambulance!"

"Pull over immediately! It must be trying to aid someone in need!"

"Of course! I'll do so immediately."

[He pulls the car to the side of the road as the ambulance roars past.]

"Well. I certainly am glad you were able to identify it. Otherwise, in our confusion, we might have held it up indefinately."

"As am I my dear. Thanks in no small part to your quick thinking."

"One thing troubles me though, my dear... If you were reading that through a mirror, shouldn't the letters have appeared backwards, rendering the word virtually impossible to comprehend?"

"Indeed you are correct. Hmm... Ah! They must have printed the word in reverse for the specific purpose of viewing through just such a vehicular mirror! It's brilliant"

"Huzzah to the designers of ambulance lettering! Thanks to their forward thinking, a life was no doubt spared this day."

Aaaaaannnd SCENE!!

5 Comments:

Blogger LT said...

I think it's just a means to drum up business. Because if you're busy reading "Ambulance" in your rear-view mirror, you're obviously not looking where you're going. You then crash and require an ambulance.

They're cleverer than I thought...

Tue Jul 26, 12:03:00 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Some people (like me) play music loudly in their car so that they might hear an ambulance until it's close to their bumper.

Tue Jul 26, 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAhAhaHa! That's all I have to say! I'm still laughing........

Tue Jul 26, 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Saw an ambulance on my way home from work yesterday, and couldn't help laughing. Ironically on the back of the ambulance, the word is written forwards so if you wanted to look in your mirror to see what it was that just passed, you can't read it.

Wed Jul 27, 01:23:00 PM  
Blogger karla said...

All I have to say is "What a coincidence." I almost named my kid Bosephus Jamiroquai.

Thu Jul 28, 11:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poker Championship

I have registered to play in the
Online Poker Blogger Championship!

This event is powered by PokerStars.

Registration code: 9916275

Site Meter