PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Blindfolded Chimp With a Pencil in His Teeth

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

How are you? Are you good? Good. Let me bring in your mail.

Well today is Ash Wednesday. The beginning of Lent. I decided to start Lent by breaking character in an enormous way and got up extra early today to go to the seven o'clock Mass at St. Thomas More Catholic Church.
Now, I'm Baptist to the Bone, yo, and sometimes Catholic services kind of weird me out 'cause things are so different from protestant services, but I can handle a dose or two of Catholicism every once in a while and I like to go with Laura because I think it's important for the two of us to worship together. So every once in a while we go to STM and every once in a while we go to University Baptist. Sooner or later she'll come around ;-)(and I'm kidding to everyone who might have been offended by that including Laura, her family, her friends, and all Catholics everywhere. Yeesh.).

Anyhizzle, I went to the Ash Wednesday service and it was very nice and very solemn and very ashy. No, I really enjoyed it, and was convicted about my shortcomings and sins in so many ways. Thing is, this always happens. I hope (again) that this time I can act with the strength of that conviction, and not follow my own stupid lead all the time. I'm really surprised that God hasn't pimp-slapped me by now.

Well I went up front and a man put an ashen cross on my forehead and I left feeling good. It was the earliest I'd been up in a while before work and I had time to kill so I went to ol' teeterboker and bought some blueberry muffins. I also got some gas, went back to the crib (yo) and changed shoes before work. Time having been killed I nontheless got to work pretty early. Nearly on time. But, I had forgotten about the little black cross on my forehead. We'll get back to that.

Last night Evan and I were playing Jeopardy after the watching the Heels lose to Virginia(?). What the freak. I decided to shave my head. Just like that, we went into the bathroom and buzzed my head. It looks fine and its a style i've worn before, plus now I don't have to mess with it in the morning. You should also note that I have a hoop earring in my left ear, and its not all that noticable really, unless I shave my head.

Back to the ashen cross on my forehead. I think it's a good thing. It's a symbol or your commitment at the beginning of the season of Lent. It's an outward sign that you are a believer and that you are not ashamed. There are certain issues I have with it sometimes because people (particularly kids on campus) wear them all day long and I feel like it can be kind of prideful, like "hey look at me, i'm devout." But thats beside the point. The thing is, when the guy at church marks you, he's doing it by dipping his finger in wet ash and then making a cross on your forehead. Due to human error, the inconsistency of his writing materials, and the understandable level of expediance needed to mark all of the congregation, the cross on your forehead isn't always exactly symmetrical or even in coloration. Sometimes it's even slightly tilted. Now, if you'll picture in your head, an asymmetrical, unevenly colored, slightly tilted cross, you may be able to see its resemblance to a simple X.

Now the Story comes together... My attempt to be a good, pious Christian had resulted in me arriving at work (the executive office of a Software Company in the Triangle where professional dress is required) with a shaved head, an earring, and what appeared to be a big black "X" in the middle of my forehead. Couple this with my sleepy demeanor that some might mistake for a scowl and I can see now why I was met with some scornful and/or confused looks. I looked like a newly converted neo-nazi satanist (in a big black overcoat, I might add).

This is not a warning story against Ash Wednesday services. Like I said, I found the service to be refreshing and uplifting. I just thought I'd share my experience, because it was funny. If you find this offensive, I'm sorry. You may never read my blog again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poker Championship

I have registered to play in the
Online Poker Blogger Championship!

This event is powered by PokerStars.

Registration code: 9916275

Site Meter